A few weeks ago, I came down with a cold and cough. After dealing with it for a few days, I went to my OB, I didn't want it to turn into Bronchitis or Pneumonia (which I seem to be suseptible to). They gave me something to help with the cough, and congestion, but no antibiotics because they didn't hear anything in my lungs.
Well about a week ago, the ribs on my left side started hurting. I figured since I was still coughing, that my ribs were bruised. I was just going to wait it out.
Then this morning, I coughed and heard a POP in my ribs. It took my breath away! I couldn't call Rob (he was still sleeping), I couldn't say or do anything for several minutes. I decided to take a hot shower, and see if I could make it feel better. But the shower did nothing. So I called Labor and Delivery, and they said to come in and get myself checked out. I went in, they hooked me up to the monitor, and Baby boy had a lower heartbeat but seemed consistent. He wasn't moving much, so they made me drink lots of fluids to try to get him moving. My bloodpressure was perfect. When the doctor came in, she asked what happened, so I explained it all to her. She started touching my ribs, and when she got to the tender part, I cried out. She automatically thought that I may have broken a rib. So they sent me down to radiology for an xray.
The doctor came back and said that my lungs were clear, but that it looked like I may have cracked my rib when I coughed. It really killed me. She told me that aside from painkillers, there wasn't much they could do. She also said that if the rib doesn't begin to heal itself quickly, I probably wouldn't be able to have a natural delivery because I wouldn't be able to breathe through it, or push him out. If I go into labor, there is a good chance that I will have to have a c-section. Which I am not looking forward to, but whatever is best for baby boy!
She gave me an antibiotic to clear up any bacteria that could be left in my system, a cough suppressant to help me not cough relieving the pain in my ribs some, and a pain killer which seems to be taking the edge off.
All because I coughed too hard. What a crazy day!!
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment