Life as we know it...

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Delivery

OMG!! Cameron is 5 1/2 weeks old and I am just now getting around to posting about his delivery...So here goes...
On Tuesday January 10th, I went in for my regular OB appointment. According to my first u/s I was 39 weeks, according to the second u/s I was 1 week overdue. Whatever...I was uncomfortable.
So at 2pm I went to the OB, my BP was high 143/98. The checked my cervix and checked for dialation, but baby boy still hadn't dropped and there was 0 dilation. I asked about induction because of how big baby was getting (already measuring over 9 lbs) and the fact that I had a cracked rib. She said she wasn't ready to discuss it, and I started crying. I hurt. She was so concerned because I have never let the discomfort bother me before. She checked my BP again at the end of my appointment and it was still high. So she told me to got to L&D to be monitored again.
I went to L&D and they hooked me up to a monitor. So I texted Rob and told him what was happening. After being there for over an hour the doctor came in and talked to me about the posibility of inducing. I told her that I was fine with that if it was the best thing for the baby, I was actually happy about it. She asked me if I had my bag with me, and I said "yes, but I don't have my husband". LOL I called Rob and told him "how would you like to have a baby tonight?" I told him what was happening, and told him to take T to his grandmas house. So he did and then came to the hospital to be with me.
At one point my BP was 168/111. It wasn't getting any better. At about 9pm they began induction. The contractions weren't too bad. at around 10pm they checked my cervix and it was at 3cm. WooHoo, things were moving now...but baby boy still wasn't dropping. So they increased the pitocin every half an hour in hopes that they could really get things moving.
At 8am the next morning, I sent Rob home to shower and have breakfast, and asked him to please not bring breakfast smells back with him since I was so hungry. UGH! I hate being hungry. At 8:30am the Dr came in and asked me how I felt about a c-section because I hadn't progressed since 10pm the night before and baby was not dropping. They were worried about laboring too long with my BP high, and the fact that I was already moving with no sleep in over 24 hours. I told them I was partially expecting a c-section because of my cracked rib, so I was ok with it. They told me that they would stop all the pitocin and other inductions, and look at the calendar to see when they could get me in. The Dr came back about 15 minutes later and said "Are you here alone? Do you have any family here?" I told him that I sent my husband home to eat and shower but he would be back soon. Right away he asked if I could get him back asap. They had an opening for a c-section at 9:30. I said ok, and started texting DH. Nurses, doctors, interns, more nurses, anesthesiologists were all coming in. Everyone was talking at once, I was trying to text, but couldn't think, so my text read..."C-Section, come back asap" thats it. He came rushing back. As he was rushing to my room, I was being wheeled into the ER. Noone was explaining anything to him, poor guy. He didn't know what was happening. He was worried. He didn't know if I was in danger, or baby was in danger, but truth was neither of us was. It was just about scheduling.
I didn't have a chance to text anyone else. Not my mom, not DH's mom, not my sister...Things moved fast!
So, I get into the ER while they get DH ready in another room. They ask me to sit on the table and lean forward so they could give me an spinal. They told me that once they gave me the drug, I would feel warmth travelling down my legs and would no longer feel anything. They said they would help me lay down, but that I needed to keep my arms crossed and suddenly feel like I was falling because I couldn't feel anything. That was a strange feeling. Then they strap my arms down, drape me so I couldn't see anything, and get DH. He comes in, and I explain to him what was happening. You could see he was nervous. Poor guy!!
They then said they were going to begin. In just a few moments they asked dad if he had the camera ready. DH fumbled to get the camera ready. Drs said to lean over the drape and get ready to get the first shot. And suddenly they said "Here he is, dad. Get a good picture, but don't drop the camera over the drape." LOL Suddenly baby boy was crying. As soon as I heard him cry, I started crying. I cried because I couldn't hold him, because I wanted to touch him, because he was here!! My little miracle was finally here!!!!!
Dad cut the cord while someone took pictures. I could hear baby boy crying. I was still crying. Dad went with baby to the nursery to be weighted, measured and assessed. While they closed me up, I could hear the doctors talking..."How much do you think that baby weighted?" "That was one big boy." "Do we have a weight on that baby yet?" "He had to be about 10 pounds" I was wondering if they knew I was still there, so I asked them "do you think you could take out about 10pounds of extra stuff?" Just me being silly, passing time.
A few minutes later, DH came back in, holding baby boy. He held him to me, let me kiss his little head since I was still strapped to the table and unable to hold him. I started crying again. I wanted to hold him so badly!! But at least I could kiss him.
When they were finished to closing me up, they took us to a recovery room. I snapped apicture of baby boy, and sent it to my family and posted it to my January mommies group. I called T's grandma and told her to look at her phone, I just sent her a picture. She did, and she showed T too. They both kept saying "Oh my God". Once my family all responded, I posted it to facebook. Immediately people were responding. When I got to hold him for the first time, it was my magical moment!!!! I felt so great, happy, in love.
Baby boy had to be formula fed because his body sugars were too low. So his first several feedings were formula. He also was jaundiced. So we had to keep poking him for blood to keep testing him. Poor little guy. But he was here!
Cameron McKay A.
9lbs 2oz
21" long

No comments:

Post a Comment